Analysis of a Motion during Daily Activity

Hey bloggers!

I am a barista at Starbucks. As part of my daily routine, I make coffee, tea, and a variety of beverages. In doing so, one of the more frequent movements I make is ulnar deviation of the wrist as I am pouring milk or drinks from the pitcher and into the cup.

Start and End positions
I start out in the neutral position, with my wrist in straight alignment with my forearm (ROM = 0 degrees in the start position). My wrist is at a mid-point position that can also be thought of as the "handshake" position. As I pour the beverage out of the pitcher, my wrist deviates toward the ulnar side. The end position is ulnar deviation of the wrist (ROM = 30 degrees in the end position).
Ulnar deviation moves within the frontal plane, and around the sagittal axis.

Joint Classification, Osteokinematics, Arthrokinematics
The wrist (radoiocarpal and mid carpal joints) is classified as a condyloid joint (2 degress of freedom). Osteokinematic movement permits flexion/extension and ulnar/radial deviation of the wrist within the frontal plan, around the sagittal axis. In arthrokinematic movement, articulations occur around the capitate bone. The proximal row of carpals glide laterally along the distal radius while the distal row of carpals move medially.

Primary Movers and their Activation
The primary movers in ulnar deviation are the extensor carpi ulnaris and the flexor carpi ulnaris.
Extensor carpi ulnaris would be producing an eccentric contraction during ulnar deviation; and flexor carpi ulnaris would be producing a concentric contraction during ulnar deviation.

Thanks, and Always Stay Natural!

Love,
naturalOT

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Self-Portrait of a Leader

Untangling Alzheimer's

Clarifying a Person's Locus of Control