A Self-Portrait of a Leader

Hey bloggers!

I recently revisited an activity I completed early in my first term and year of OT school in January 2019. It's called A Self-Portrait of a Leader. I completed the activity again in order to compare and determine whether or not my perspective had changed since I started OT school. I wanted to share my results and reflect on what I discovered with you. (Note: I have included the Glyph Key for the drawing at the bottom of the post.)                        

Overall, my two glyphs were similar when comparing them side by side. Although, I did notice that even some of my similarities looked different this time around. Four main differences stood out to me between the two glyph pictures: The eyes, ears, hair, and signature.

Eyes: In my first drawing, the eyes were small, signifying my belief that there is a fairly equal mixture of leaders and non-leaders in the field of OT. In my second drawing, the eye are much larger, signifying my belief in that the vast majority of OTs are leaders. Although I feel that OTs can be both leaders and non-leaders, I feel that the majority demonstrate a leadership role in the field.

Glyph 1
Ears: In my first drawing, the ears were round, signifying my belief that technology is an important part of effective leadership in many situations. In my second drawing, the ears were pointy, signifying that I disagreed with the previous statement. When we first did this activity, as a class, we were learning how to create a lot of new things online. This may have influenced my choice originally. Now, taking time to think about it, I know many leaders who are not technologically savvy.   

Glyph 2










Hair: In my first drawing, the hair was long and curly, signifying my belief that introverts can be effective leaders; and that creativity is more important in leadership. In my second drawing, the hair was long and wavy (mix of curly and straight), signifying my belief that introverts can be effective leaders; and that creativity and organization are both important in leadership. 

Signature: In the first drawing, I wrote my name in print, signifying that at the time I had not written a plan or goal about serving in leadership roles in the future. In the second drawing, I wrote my name in cursive, signifying that I have a written plan or goal about serving in leadership roles in the future.

This exercise was very insightful. I was surprised that the pictures were generally similar, but minutely different. 

naturalOT


Glyph Key for Drawing A Self-Portrait of a Leader






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Untangling Alzheimer's

Clarifying a Person's Locus of Control