My Sensory Profile SIM Lab Experience

Hey bloggers!

Today, I participated in a SIM lab where I had to talk to my client's parents about Sensory Processing Disorder as it pertained to the client. My client's sensory profile showed that the behaviors she exhibited were characteristic of Low Registration "Bystander" category. I provided a sensory schedule with activities to be incorporated into my client's day. This is a reflection of how I feel I did in the SIM lab today; how I communicated empathetically; where I feel I can improve; and how I can incorporate what I have learned from this encounter into future experiences.

I think I did well in the SIM today. I was nervous upon arrival, but once I knocked on the door and walked into the room, the nerves went away. I felt at ease as I introduced myself to the mother of the client, and asked her how she was doing. My next thought was how I was going to establish rapport and show empathy towards the client. The first thing I did to show empathy was move my chair next to her so that I was sitting beside her, instead of sitting directly in front of her. I felt like this would help the parent to feel more comfortable, so that we could talk very casually. The second thing I did was use my sense of touch to comfort her, as well as demonstrate how touch can be stimulating for her child. 

Even though I felt I did well during the SIM lab, there is always room for improvement. I could've done a better job of referring to the client as “a person”, rather than “a bystander”. This is never good because essentially you are saying the diagnosis defines the client. I also could have done a better job in checking for more understanding for the parent. To do this, I wanted to ask her to give me examples herself (i.e. What are some things that you do with Libby throughout the day that you could incorporate into her sensory schedule?).

Overall, I think having the opportunity to participate in a SIM lab is very beneficial and provides a good learning experience. It prepares us for our future clinical careers because we cannot really prepare for a SIM lab; in the sense that there will be things that come up that you didn't expect to happen. The client may say something unexpected that you were not prepared for, but you have to use your best clinical judgment as it pertains to the client. For example, my client's mother asked me if her child would be delayed for the rest of her life. My response didn't include a yes/no, but instead a redirection to the topic of discussion we were focused on, which was Sensory Processing Disorder. I can take this experience, as well as the other things I have discussed throughout the post, and apply it to my future clinical career. 

Thank you, and always stay natural.

naturalOT

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Self-Portrait of a Leader

Untangling Alzheimer's

Clarifying a Person's Locus of Control